Website Image

Florida’s Most Commonly Applied For Liquor License Types, 4COP and 2COP, Explained

December 18, 2020
Kristy Armada

Obtaining a liquor license is a complicated, confusing, and tedious process.  Reviewing and completing the application process can seem daunting and overwhelming.  The assistance of an experienced and qualified attorney will prove invaluable.

A brief overview of frequently applied for liquor licenses may assist in deciding on what type of alcoholic beverages to offer for sale.  The Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco Bureau of Licensing (“AB&T”) offers several types of licenses.  Below is a description of the liquor licenses most commonly applied for:

  1. Full Liquor License – 4COP

Full liquor license are typically referred to as “4COP” licenses.  4COP licenses permit the sale of beer, wine, and liquor for sale by the drink for consumption on premises and package sales in sealed containers. In most counties, AB&T will charge an annual fee of $1,820.00 and $920 for one half of the year.

If you are a restaurant owner, and you derive 51% of your revenue from food and non-alcoholic beverages, and your restaurant consists of at least 2,500 square feet of floor space under a permanent cover serving at least 150 patrons at one time you may qualify for a 4COP SFS license.  If you do not qualify for the SFS license, then you would be required to obtain a regular (Quota) license.

In order to obtain a Quota (liquor) license, you must either buy an existing license, or enter the quota drawing to win the right to apply for a quota license. The winner may then apply for the issuance of the new license.

A license to sell liquor cannot be transferred out of the county in which it was initially issued, due to the limitation of the number of licenses for each county.

  1. Beer and Wine License – 2COP

These licenses are typically referred to as “2COP” licenses.  2COP licenses permit the sale of beer and wine only for sale by the drink for consumption of premises or in sealed container for package sales.  In most counties, AB&T will charge an annual fee of $392.00 and $196.00 for one half of a year.  Pursuant to the AB&T’s Frequently Asked Questions, a license to sell beer and wine can be transferred from county to county. A change of location fee is applicable.

Please know that there are numerous other types and classes of liquor licenses.  In order to appropriate identify which license best fits your needs and for more information regarding how to obtain such license please contact Kristy E. Armada.